Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Gospel in Exodus

I've been trying to read the "real" Bible to my daughter. We've enjoyed her children's Bibles but she seems old enough to "almost" make her way though the text itself. Thankfully, she is very patient with my inconsistency and somehow keeps in mind where we left off last.

Right now we are in Exodus--and the Israelites just crossed the Red Sea. The Gospel has been shining through this deliverance story as I've read to her about God's power of judgment being displayed in the Egyptians. What amazes me is that this same destructive power was displayed in my deliverance as well. Only, for me, the object was not a cruel human ruler or nation. Rather--the overwhelming power of judgment was poured out on God, in the person of His Son. The same "mighty hand" was shown in my salvation, but it was unleashed against Jesus Christ and I was brought through the waters of judgement on the dry ground of costly grace onto the shore of my salvation.

He was wounded for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. By His wounds we are healed.

Lord--show me the cost of my salvation.