Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Psalm 23 and Me


I was meditating on Psalm 23 the other day and remembered something that I'm sure I've heard before, but somehow it seemed new...again. (Isn't that the great adventure of reading Scripture?!)
Halfway through the Psalm, David starts speaking to the Lord directly. In the first three verses God is referenced as 'He'--the One who is our shepherd, who leads and restores us. In verse four there is a change. 'Even though I walk through the valley...you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me..."
I pray this is true of my relationship with the Lord as well. I pray that meditating on God's character leads me to speak directly to him in prayer--that truth always leads to relationship. I pray that I would not only know about the personal care of the Lord, but that I would draw near to the Lord Himself. I pray I would think much about the Lord, that my thoughts would be shaped by truth, and that truth would lead to prayer, prayer to gratefulness, gratefulness to affection, and affection right back to truth.