Saturday, July 21, 2012

Celebrating Salvation

I have learned from Jerry Bridges, C.J. Mahaney, and many others to "preach the gospel to myself every day."  The lesson has now extended many, many years.  But still my heart wanders away from gratefulness and confidence in my salvation.  Sometimes my sin seem greater than my Savior. Sometimes my idols seem more pleasing than meditating on mercy.  Most of the time my affections are sluggish and cold in comparison to the blazing glory of the cross.  But He gives more grace. Grace to approach his throne of mercy again, asking again for a new sight of Calvary.  He calls cold hearts to be warmed at this fire,  wandering minds to be fixed on this wisdom.  He invites weary souls to come here and find their rest.  The gospel is God's invitation to those who need to be invited every day. And the more I come, the more I want t come, considering again the majestic agony and piercing beauty of the Lamb of God, slain for my sins.