Thursday, June 20, 2013

Church Planting and Prayer

Every day I am reminded of how much work is required to establish a church.  We have to connect with our new neighbors, get to know our new church plant team members, find our way around a new area, start planning for the new responsibilities of pulling off a meeting every week.  I have to work on messages and website content and outreach strategies and team building plans.  We need a structure for children’s ministry, the worship team, the set-up team, the tear-down team, the greeters, the ushers, the small group ministry.  And we’re not even trying to do a lot of programs right now!
There is a lot of work to do.  Actually most of life is like this, whether on a church plant or not.  For me, the one calling that gets lost in all the to do lists is prayer.  But without prayer all of these other efforts may as well be wasted time, wasted planning, wasted work.  I need the Lord to build this belief into my restless soul.  I need Him. I need to pray. We need to pray. We need communion and dependance and worship more than we need plans, strategies, effort.  So, I say with the disciples.
“Lord, teach us to pray.”

*Originally posted at www.rhchurch.com