Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Rock of Ages

I'm sitting in a coffee shop in Round Rock right now, looking at a wall made of stone.  The verses of the hymn Rock of Ages are on my mind.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee. 
Let the water and the blood, from thy wounded side which flowed 
Be of sin the double cure 
Save from wrath and make me pure. 

I'm thinking of Moses in the wilderness with God's people, striking a rock with a stick, seeing miraculous water gush out to quench the thirst of an undeserving people.

I'm thinking about the crushing blows that descended on Christ, so that out of his death a fountain of forgiveness could be provided for all of God's people. 

While I draw this fleeting breath, when my eyes shall close in death. 
When I sour to world's unknown, see thee on thy judgment throne 
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee.