Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Rest and Feast of Serving

Serving is a feast.  Serving provides rest.

Jesus said in John 4 “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. He said again in Matthew 11 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

In the process of serving the Lord restores our souls and gives us strength--he sustains us through the activity of serving.  Of course this doesn't mean that times of inactivity are wrong, or that God never calls us away from labor for a time of workless rest.  However,  for most of our lives, God's life-giving Spirit rejuvinates us while we labor in his service.  This means that one answer to the question "How can I feel more of God's strength in my life, since I feel so weak and needy right now?" is:  Serve.   If you want to rest, serve. If you want to feast, serve.  Again, it's not the only answer, but it certainly is one Biblical venue of God's provision. 

One caveat, from my own experience and I'm sure yours as well.  The kind of servanthood that provides rest and refreshing grace is joyful servanthood, not grudging work or bitter labor.   When we take the yoke of our master with joy, when we do the Father's will with gladness of heart, we find that our souls feast on his grace, and our hearts are lifted up by the rest of His Spirit. 

So...who would like to rest and feast today?