Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Why the Gospel Amazes Me



The Gospel amazes me because...
  • In of the gospel, the God who is eternally happy in his own glorious perfections, chooses to rejoice in the salvation of lumps of clay.
  • In the gospel, scoffing rebels are chosen to receive adopting grace.
  • In the gospel, God the Son, having unlimited strength, chooses to show his strength by veiling himself in human weakness and dying on a cross.
  • In the gospel, the God who knows all the sins I will commit chose to covenant with me that his mercy will be new every morning.
  • In the gospel, God's favor is better than free; it is earned by Another.
  • In the gospel, the truth of a heavenly promise is untouched by the worst day on earth.
  • In the gospel, the priceless Prince of Heaven trades places with the murderer, the adulterer, the thief, the liar, the tyrant, the coward, the fool, the defiant.
  • In the gospel, the Father sent his beloved Son to die and the Son willingly faced heavenly wrath--to save me.
  • In the gospel, God teaches me neither to fear condemnation nor to delight in sin.
  • In the gospel, my worst and greatest reputation is revealed at the cross--as Newton said, "I am a great sinner, and Christ is a great Savior." I have no greater shame and no greater glory than this: that Jesus died for me.
  • In the gospel, all of heaven's spiritual benefits are purchased and offered to me daily, hourly, moment by moment---access, peace, hope, joy, power, grace, love, comfort, sight, faith.

The gospel is amazing to me.