Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Serving at Home

The day is over and I'm heading home soon.  I'm tired, but feeling satisfied after a long day of productive work.  Because it was such a productive day, my thoughts turn to how nice it would be to rest and recuperate once I arrive home--perhaps enjoy some entertainment and stress free time after I've faced all the burdens of the day. I even feel a bit entitled to enjoy this down time, since I paid for it through a number of emails, conversations, hard thinking, and effort exerted throughout the day. But there is something else to consider. At home there are three children waiting for me, waiting to play and talk and listen to Daddy.  The moment I walk through the door they desire my affection, leadership, instruction, care, fun.  My wife is also waiting--after battling with toddler attitudes and 5 year old questions and infant screams all day long.  She would love to have just a few moments without a baby in one arm and a cooking utensil in another.  She would love to enjoy some adult conversation.  Most importantly, my Lord is sending me home, and he has a purpose for me to accomplish. He has called me to serve and care and love and encourage and support.  He will provide rest when the time comes. But my day isn't over yet. 

Help me, Lord, to serve at home.